1. To make sauce, heat oil in a wok over medium heat. Cook chillies, chilli flakes, onions and garlic until fragrant. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer until thickened.
2. To make charred pickled shallots, stir vinegar and sugar and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and stir in vegetables. Set aside until cold.
3. Remove eschallot and cook on a hot chargrill on both cut sides until browned. Separate layers of eschallot.
4. To make spice coating, combine all ingredients in a bowl.
5. A few pieces at a time, toss chicken in lemon juice and then toss in spice coating. Place on a tray in a single layer.
6. Deep fry chicken in batches until golden, crisp and cooked through. Drain on absorbent paper.
7. Reheat sweet and spicy sauce and pour into a large bowl. Add chicken ribs and toss to coat.
8. Serve ribs with pickled vegetables.