800g chicken ribs Juice of 1 lemon
Sliced chilli, toasted sesame seeds, chopped cashews and micro chives, to garnish
Lime wedges, to serve
Vegetable oil, to deep fry
SWEET AND SPICY SAUCE
3 tbs vegetable oil
2 red birds eye chillies, finely chopped
2 long dried red chillies, chopped
2 tbs dried chili flakes
3 green spring onions (green part), finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 tbs ketchup manis
1 tsp chicken salt
¼ tsp sesame oil
¼ tsp chili oil
2 tsp rice vinegar
CHARRED PICKLED VEGETABLES
300ml white vinegar
100g white sugar
1 tsp salt
4 eschallots, quartered
1 large carrot
½ cup plain flour
¼ cup cornflour
¼ cup dried breadcrumbs
1 tbs chicken salt
2 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp ground white pepper
1. To make sauce, heat oil in a wok over medium heat. Cook chillies, chilli flakes, onions and garlic until fragrant. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer until thickened.
2. To make charred pickled shallots, stir vinegar and sugar and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and stir in vegetables. Set aside until cold.
3. Remove eschallot and cook on a hot chargrill on both cut sides until browned. Separate layers of eschallot.
4. To make spice coating, combine all ingredients in a bowl.
5. A few pieces at a time, toss chicken in lemon juice and then toss in spice coating. Place on a tray in a single layer.
6. Deep fry chicken in batches until golden, crisp and cooked through. Drain on absorbent paper.
7. Reheat sweet and spicy sauce and pour into a large bowl. Add chicken ribs and toss to coat.
8. Serve ribs with pickled vegetables.